Wednesday, September 13, 2023

The giant baking squirrel

I was mad when the bakery hired a giant squirrel to help with the baking. Partially it was because of how strict the sanitation guidelines were, and how we had to wear gloves and wipe down counters constantly, and everyone knew the giant squirrel just woke up from inside his sequoia cavern, hopped on the bus, and showed up to start scooping muffin batter. One day he looked me in the eye, tried to put on the gloves, and showed me how the plastic just ripped on his paws. Then he started scooping muffin batter beside me, daring me to call DHEC.  I didn’t.  To tell you the truth, I was so tired of the cleaning standards that I was happy to have someone to blame.

After a few weeks, I started offering the squirrel some of my ration of free muffins because I knew that he needed more food.  Finally I suggested to the boss that we make whole cakes instead.  She said we could make lemon loaf cakes.

 

I kept working like normal but at break time I saw the squirrel crying in the breakroom as he ate one of the lemon loaf cakes. I gave him all the loaf cakes in my bag and from then on only took home the almond croissants.

 

The giant squirrel is now assistant manager of the bakery and we have stores in 51 states and  30 different countries.  Animals and humans are working in harmony and lemon loaf cakes are the national food at the space station.  Our country recently received threats from an alien society, and the giant squirrel sent a letter and said, let’s try sending them some lemon loaf cakes. I did not tell anyone how proud I felt, but I know the squirrel knows that I know he knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment